[WSBARP] spouse "homestead" and tenancy rights in other spouse's separate property residence

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Fri Nov 13 15:28:01 PST 2015

In my opinion that case, if applied too broadly, gives rise to undesired results.  Another way of saying:  "Poorly reasoned"
I prefer, at least for title insurance purposes, to limit its effects to the facts of that case.   I think before a spouse waives or relinquishes homestead rights there needs to be an express intention to do so.
We continue to require a spouse to execute any encumbrance or conveyance of the family home,
John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West