[WSBARP] SOL Calculation for Foreclosure Action

Michael Safren msafren at gmail.com
Tue May 26 12:53:26 PDT 2015

Hi Oscar,

In my experience the SOL is calculated starting from the missed payment date on the note/debt.  The SOL is tolled by either filing the complaint on a judicial foreclosure or by filing the Notice of Trustee sale on a non-judicial foreclosure.

Please also note that even if the foreclosure is initiated or tolled after the SOL has run, many states including Washington apply the doctrine of continuous default, which counts each missed payment as a separate cause of action.  Thus even if several missed payments may fall outside the SOL, the default and missed payments within the SOL will serve as the basis for a cause of action and can be recoverable by a creditor.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to send me an email.

Kind regards,

Michael Safren

msafren at gmail.com