[WSBARP] Condo Association Liens & BK

Dave Culbertson dculbertson at culbertsonlawoffice.com
Thu May 21 11:16:39 PDT 2015

Hello, Listmates.
I'm not a real estate lawyer, so my question comes from my bankruptcy practice. I'm looking to understand when and how liens are created for unpaid monthly assessments for a condominium and/or HOA. Is a lawsuit and judgment required, or are they created by statute upon failure to pay, or can the Condo agreement alone create them? I'm asking because I thought we had discharged pre-BK condominium monthly assessments in a BK, and there was no court action to create a lien, but my client is hearing from the Condo association that they believe they have a lien for pre-BK assessments that they can enforce. I'd like to have a better idea of the lay of the land before I get involved.
Thanks.

Best Regards,

Dave Culbertson

The Law Office of Davisson Culbertson, PLLC
19909 Ballinger Way NE
Shoreline, WA 98155

Phone: (206) 478-8134
FAX: (866) 867-7796