[WSBARP] Condo Foreclosure Basics

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Fri May 1 10:44:32 PDT 2015

BofA only has to redeem IF it was foreclosed upon.  You need to review the
court file to see who the condo association foreclosed against.  Most banks
now, when served with foreclosure documents on a condo unit, will pay the
back six months of assessments (representing the condo association's six
month super-priority lien), and then get dismissed out of the judicial
foreclosure, thereby preserving its lien status.  This means that your
client just paid $15k to be able to stay in the unit until BofA brings its
own foreclosure action.  Redemption rights only apply to liens that are
wiped out in the foreclosure.   By definition, if BofA ponied up the 6
months of assessment and was dismissed out of the lawsuit, BofA's lien
wasn't wiped out.