[WSBARP] CCR question

swhite8893 at aol.com swhite8893 at aol.com
Tue Mar 17 11:20:39 PDT 2015

     In any discussion relating to this topic, I think you have to differentiate between condos and noncondo HOA's, although there was an attempt in this year's legislative session to change that(see SB 6253, a very significant proposal for any HOA). In some areas, the focus is on condos. Here in the hinterland, the focus is on areas with single family homes. Priority is not governed by statute but by case law as may be influenced by the language in the governing documents.
     While BAC Home Loans Servicing was a condo situation, and while it had Bank of America arguing it did not have priority(ironic for a lot of reasons), a lot of the language in the opinion does not rely on the statute, particularly where it discusses the rational of Nat'l Bank of Wash. v Equity Investors, as being applicable.
     This is consistent with several states, the leading opinion from which is probably Bessemer v. Gersten, 381 So, 2d 1344 (Fla. 1980).
     I also think if you go back and look at the theoretical basis for common law liens (the work being done was protecting the security interest), it is analogous. However, common law liens are abolished in Washington. However, it seems to me that if you have a contractually based lien, your covenants, that has priority language, that rationale could be used to support that claim.
     I had suspected the reason for the preloan bank concerns was underwriting, and several years ago that seemed to be more of an issue, but I never saw any specific standards and never heard of someone who could not get a loan, but not perhaps from a particular bank. I have not seen the issue come up for several years. Perhaps other's experience is different.

Steve

Stephen Whitehouse
Whitehouse & Nichols, LLP
Attorneys at Law