[WSBARP] To probate or not to probate

Jeanne Dawes jjdawes at goregrewe.com
Tue Mar 3 10:07:10 PST 2015

My inclination is to walk away.  The retirement funds proceeds are not subject to creditors claims.  My experience with lenders and property underwater, is that they are almost impossible to work with.  They want to treat the PR like he or she is the borrower.  Can't do that.     I've tried on many occasions to get the lender to accept a deed in lieu, and it has taken months and months for that to happen, in the meantime, the lender has no problem starting a foreclosure action.  It makes no sense.

As to removing the personal property from the home, that is not part of the lender's security, but the value of it could be subject to creditor's claims.  I guess it would depend on the value.  If there is a high value, it might be worth opening a probate in order to comply with the creditor claim process and see what's out there.  My experience is lenders do not typically file a claim against the estate.  If the personal property only has sentimental value, and she is the sole beneficiary, I don't think anyone would raise the issue.

Others may have a different experience or opinion.  Hope this is helpful.

Jeanne

Jeanne J. Dawes
Attorney at Law
Gore & Grewe, P.S.
103 E. Indiana Avenue, Suite A
Spokane, WA 99207-2317
Voice:  509-326-7500
Fax:      509-326-7503
jjdawes at goregrewe.com<mailto:jjdawes at goregrewe.com>
INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL.