[WSBARP] Covenant Not to Compete (?) and Sale of Building

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jun 25 15:39:14 PDT 2015

I don't have a draft covenant but I know these are standard clauses in a lot of mall leases--typically each tenant (and especially an anchor tenant) wants to make sure a competitor doesn't move in. I think this would be structured as a covenant between the two parcels, and it's enforceable. Requires the usual bells and whistles for a real covenant--full legal descriptions, notary acknowledgments, etc.  It's usually best to have a separate clause expressly allowing injunction as a remedy without necessity of posting bond.

I agree that it probably is better characterized as a use restriction, rather than a noncompete, though obviously it has a strong relationship to a noncompete agreement.

Sample from a litigated case in Illinois, upholding reasonableness of a similar restriction:

Landlord covenants and agrees, from and after the date hereof and so long as this lease shall be in effect, not to lease, rent, occupy, or suffer or permit to be occupied, any part of the Shopping Center premises or any other premises owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, either by Landlord, its successors, heirs, or assigns, or Landlord's principal owners, stockholders, directors, or officers or their assignees (hereinafter called Owners), which are within one mile of the Shopping Center premises for the purpose of conducting therein or for use as, a food store or a food department or for the storage or sale for off-premises consumption of groceries, meats produce, dairy products, or bakery products, or any of them; and further, that if Landlord or owners own any land, or hereinafter during the term of this lease Landlord or Owners acquire any land within such distance of the Shopping Center, neither will convey the same without imposing thereon a restriction to secure compliance with the terms of this lease. - See more at: http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/articles/restrictive-covenants-commercial-leases#sthash.BkPA6XJj.dpuf

National Super Markets, Inc., v. Magna Trust Co., 212 Ill. App. 3d 358; 570 N.E. 2d 1191 [1991].
http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/articles/restrictive-covenants-commercial-leases

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen