[WSBARP] Mold in Rental Unit

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Wed Jun 17 09:51:06 PDT 2015

Paul:
Mr. Herman is correct there is an exception.  However, based upon your facts mold is not a defense to failure to pay rent unless they gave written notice of the defect, then expended funds to clean it up (say spent $500 and rent is $500).  Which aren’t facts in this case.  The tenant is trying to get the best of both worlds, complain about substandard conditions (i.e presence of mold) and not follow the procedures outlined in RCW 59.18.115 (which by the way require the tenant to still pay rent or place the rent into escrow pending the government investigation).  Again, based upon the below facts the alleged presence of mold or any other defect for that matter cannot be raised as defense to no rent due.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.