[WSBARP] CCR and neighboring property

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Thu Jan 22 18:14:42 PST 2015

This is going back to law school and real property 101.  I have a situation where there is a development that has CCRs in place (call primary development).  The owners in that development want to grant to a neighboring development the right to enforce the CCRs, but not be bound by them.  First blush, I think the neighboring property needs to become part of the CCRs (could be specifically exempted out of the use restrictions) in order to be effective.  I don't think a deed/contract from the primary development to the neighboring development granting such enforcement rights would be sufficient.

Anyone encounter such a situation?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.

Confidentiality: This e-mail transmission may contain information which is protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing Reply (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then deleting the e-mail.