[WSBARP] Billing Software - Transition From PCLaw to Quickbooks? Other options

Rob Rowley rob at rowleylegal.com
Fri Feb 13 07:30:47 PST 2015

Good morning all,

Wanted to get a sense as to anyone who's had experience on making the
transition from PCLaw to QuickBooks.  Also the pros and cons of using
QuickBooks in lieu of more lawyer tailored billing software.  Have used
PCLaw for the past 12 years (when I left a large firm who also used PCLaw)
and gone through several generations (currently using Ver.12).  Recently
had issue with the fact that I can't reconcile my general bank account
(everything else works).  Worked through all of the suggested fixes (I’m
fairly tech savvy) on their website (also googled it). When I call PCLaw
for service I'm told that I need to pay $550 to ‘renew my service plan and
also pay $10/month into the future’ before they will give me the time of
day.  To say that I'm frustrated with PCLaw would be an understatement.
Don't need all of the bells and whistles nor case management software.
Just need simple lawyer accounting and billing software.  My CPA does my
state and federal payroll and reporting.

I’ve done lots of research over the years (
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/departments_offices/legal_technology_resources/resources/charts_fyis/timeandbilling.html).
I know that most attorneys shy away from QuickBooks due to the fact that
you can have issues with the trust accounting.  Looks like that issue may
now be fixed or there might be some more readily usable workarounds.  I
regularly use QuickBooks Pro for my rental properties so have strong
working knowledge of it.  I'm familiar with the fact that QuickBooks also
forces you to upgrade approximately every three years.

When I look at all of the other attorney billing software out there I see
lots of monthly subscription fees which over the years will quickly exceed
the cost of actually buying it one time.  Also, the fact that you are
parking your billing information up on the cloud as opposed to locally
becomes an issue.

Thank you.

*Robert R. Rowley* | Attorney at Law

505 W. Riverside Ave, Suite 500

Spokane, WA  99201

Telephone: (509) 252-5074

Mobile: (509) 994-1143

Facsimile: (509) 928-3084

Email: rob at rowleylegal.com

Web Site: www.rowleylegal.com

Practice concentrated on business, real estate and general legal matters in
Washington and Idaho.

<https://www.facebook.com/rowleylegal>
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-rowley/11/172/b20>
<https://twitter.com/ROBERTRROWLEY>
<http://www.yelp.com/biz/robert-r-rowley-spokane>

NOTICE: The contents of this message and any attachments may be protected
by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine or other applicable
protections.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this
message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the
message.  Thank you for your assistance.

DISCLAIMER: You should recognize that responses provided by e-mail means
are akin to ordinary telephone or face-to-face conversations and do not
reflect the level of factual or legal inquiry or analysis which would be
applied in the case of a formal legal opinion. A formal opinion may very
well reach a different conclusion.