[WSBARP] Possible Real Party in Interest Problems...

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Feb 9 12:30:11 PST 2015

I'd throw it all at a title company at this point and maybe get a litigation guarantee, then amend the complaint to match the defendants named by the guarantee.

It sounds like, in sequential order, (1) H&W divorce and H quitclaims to W; (2) case is filed against H&W as owners, not realizing that title had changed to W only, (3) W quitclaims to bogus "corporation" that is really some guy X who takes deeds under fake corporate names, and (4) you sub into the case and discover the mess and now get to try to clean it up.

The problem with X and the bogus corp is, if I remember my case law correctly, a deed can still be effective to convey to a grantee even if the name of the grantee in the deed itself isn't accurate; a discrepancy in the name of the grantee on the deed doesn't invalidate the deed if it's still possible to identify who was intended to be grantee. So maybe X is now owner. Could be a problem if there was no lis pendens recorded. If lis pendens was recorded, then maybe the QCD from W to bogus corp is not a problem for your purposes, because the successor will be automatically bound by judgment in the case? If no lis pendens, probably need to amend the complaint to name new owners and get a lis pendens in place.

Also, if X gets around to properly registering the corporation, I think the ownership of the property latches to the newly formed corporation even though the deed came before the corporation existed.

All of which to me means, I'd prefer to have title insurance on the identity of the proper defendants.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC