[WSBARP] testate nonintervention probate distribution to minor

David Moe davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com
Thu Dec 3 13:33:30 PST 2015

(Follow-ons to my 11:44 AM response below):
	I must add to my prior response after further thought:

	First, where in a testate estate there was a minor beneficiary, for the petitioner to obtain nonintervention powers, RCW 11.76.080 (generally requiring appointment of a guardian ad litem for the minor) must have been satisfied;
	Second, my experience with banks is generally that they will require a court order to block an account.
	Third, to the extent Civil Rule SPR 98.16w (1) applies--and in King County, to the extent LCR 98.16(a) and (b) may apply, court orders will be required, both to establish and to disburse from the accounts.

[Query--is a small pecuniary or residuary percentage testamentary gift to a minor an "estate settlement" or "claim settlement" subject to SPR 98.16w?  If so, settlements under $25,000 still require a settlement GAL, with no minimum "settlement" amount totally exempt. (But see below.)]

	Fourth,  in drafting wills, I routinely provide that a testamentary gift to a minor may satisfied with creation of a custodial (UTTMA) account, and provide that the estate PR can act as, or designate a 3rd party to act as custodian.  It appears to me that RCW 11.114.020(4) allows for this without requiring a guardian ad litem for the minor.

Are financial institutions requiring court orders to establish such accounts, as opposed to blocked accounts, in settlement of estates, absent an  authorizing provision in the will or trust?  RCW 11.114.060-"Other Transfer by fiduciary," suggests no court approval is required even in that situation, unless the transfer exceeds $30,000 in value.

 David Moe, Attorney
David L. Moe & Associates, P.S.
Telephone:  425-432-1277
Fax:  425-432-1280
Address:
22128 SE 237th
Maple Valley, WA 98038

Email:  davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com
url:  http://www.maplevalleylaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify this firm immediately by collect call (425)-432-1277, or by reply to this communication.