[WSBARP] Transfer on Death Deed Issues

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Tue Aug 25 16:32:43 PDT 2015

John:
The TODD is not a gift because the transfer is not effective until death because grantor can revoke the deed.  Because it is revocable, I think that would addressed the special use classification issue because the grantor hasn't transferred anything yet and is still the owner for all intents and purposes (including Medicaid qualification).  Therefore, the grantee shouldn't be required to sign because they actually haven't received anything.  Also because it is revocable, it will not start the 5-year look back period for Medicaid eligibility purposes.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
Adoption Attorney*
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
 *Adoption Attorney reflects election as a Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, an invitation based organization of 300+ attorneys nationwide, under its criteria of experience, ethics and peer recommendation. Washington's Supreme Court has not yet developed or recognized a credentialing process for specialties, and certification/fellowship is not required to practice law in this state.