[WSBARP] Anyone know what this ownership interest is called?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Apr 22 11:49:13 PDT 2015

That sounds like fee simple ownership:  she lives on it as long as she wants and she can sell it if she wants. Or do the proceeds go to someone else when it's sold?

If that's the case and proceeds go to someone else, then I think it's technically a defeasible life estate with an executory (remainder) interest, with either an automatic trigger (terminable life estate) or a right of re-entry (life estate subject to condition subsequent) at the time she decides to stop living at the property. Technically I think it could be set up in deed language but it's much easier to set up in a trust, to have lots of room to define what it means to "move out."

I have set up similar situations in several different ways depending on exact circumstances, from vesting fee in the remainder beneficiaries and giving the surviving spouse a lease, to setting up a trust, to granting a life estate with conditions, etc.

The point about a title company is a good one, but the solution really depends on all circumstances. Every solution has its set of title issues that need to be thought through ahead of time.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC