[WSBARP] 1031 Exchange and Like Kind Property

Tom J. Westbrook tjw at w3net.net
Tue Apr 21 11:15:15 PDT 2015

Jim,

The mill is paying for logs in the scenario you have below. So that
means the timber is cut, the logs are removed, scaled and a price paid
either per ton, per thousand board feet or cubic feet (depending upon
the mill and type of logs delivered). That is not the same as buying
standing timber. If you are getting paid based upon a delivered product
to the mill, I believe you are selling logs which is personal property
and would not allow for a 1031 for other real estate investment. The
devil is in the details here. As an aside, within the timber industry,
selling or buying cutting rights is not the same as selling or buying
standing timber. I only know this having spent the first 20 years of my
adult life buying timber and operating my family's sawmill business;
dealing with 1031 exchanges regularly. Having said that, I am not a
facilitator and am not offering tax advice - just timber industry
opinion. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

Rodgers, Kee & Card

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email: tjw at buddbaylaw.com

Skype: thomas.westbrook

www.buddbaylaw.com

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged
and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are
strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or
otherwise using this email or its contents in any way. If you have
telephone at 360-352-8311 or by e-mail to reception at buddbaylaw.com
<mailto:reception at buddbaylaw.com> , and destroy the original message
from your electronic files.