[WSBARP] Interaction of vacated road, adverse possession, Assessor hijinks

RebeccaWiess rwiess at foxinternet.net
Fri Oct 31 11:13:35 PDT 2014

Some years back I had a King County case where there was a vacated road and
an AP issue on the sideline boundary in the vacated road, very similar to
what you show below. In my case the primary issue was how the sideline
projected into the road area. I learned that there is an assessor's manual
on projecting sidelines, and that it is not identical to the "do equity"
guideline in Washington caselaw on projecting boundaries into vacated areas.
In my case the original back lot lines were at an angle, and in your case
the AP means you end up with an angle in the mix. I'd go talk to the
assessor, including proposing the quit claim. Then, if either party is
considering doing any construction in the near future where this segment of
boundary line is essential, I'd consider doing a stipulated quiet title or a
BLA, but not until after I'd tried to talk my way through permitting based
on the assessor having already delineated the boundary.

Rebecca K. Wiess

Attorney at Law

421 24th Avenue East

Seattle, WA  98112