[WSBARP] Excise tax and penalties for decedent - grant county

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Fri Nov 21 11:32:10 PST 2014

H&W owned real property.  W died in 2009.  H died 2014.  Son is PR.  Pr has an P&S for a new buyer. PR is happy to pay the normal excise tax on this sale.

Title company is allowing sale of W’s interest based on our affidavit to clear title, so no probate needed for W.

Grant County indicates that we have to pay additional excise tax and penalties and interest from 2009 til now on the transfer from W to H... and they base that on a sale price = 1/2 of the assessed value.

there was no sale back in 2009.  If we did a probate of W’s estate, they would have to file a PR deed without any excise tax.  It isn’t enough of an excise tax to justify doing a probate.

any other counties doing this?

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619