[WSBARP] defending and judicial foreclosure, no debt owing by defendants

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Nov 14 14:56:38 PST 2014

Your recollection is correct I think, in that if property has been mortgaged, the mortgage lien can be foreclosed (if the debt is in default) even if the property is now owned by someone else.

But on your facts, it sounds like there is no lien because it was secured only by the life estate interest, which vanished with the deaths of the grantors. The property disappeared, so there is nothing to foreclose on.

And the personal liability for the debt was on the parents, both of whom are deceased, and more than 2 years ago, so the 2-year bar on claims against a decedent prevents any collection against the estates.

Both of these seem really black-letter law to me, and a plaintiff persisting in a judicial foreclosure on these facts really ought to be hit with CR 11 sanctions. Particularly if they're asking for a deficiency judgment.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC