[WSBARP] Improvements on Greenbelt

swhite8893 at aol.com swhite8893 at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 20:14:39 PST 2014

David,
     I am curious about your CC&Rs. How do they forbid AP? I have never heard of that and would certainly wonder to what extent that would bind your client. I would bet there is no case in Washington addressing that. I think you would have a hard time finding that issue specifically addressed anywhere.
     On your proof issues, that is as to the existence of the improvements prior to 1987, so that they vested prior to the statute, there a several avenues to track that down. If you can't find neighbors or such, check permit records. Also, the assessor's records may show the outbuildings. If that fails, there are aerial photographs available. They are less accessible than they used to be, but call me and I can tell you to get to them.
     Of course, if you can avoid a costly war with the HOA, that is a good thing. They are probably more worried about precedent than any thing else. On the other hand they really don't want to take the risk you could prevail. So the idea of some agreement that allows them to remain, but recognizes the HOAs superior right, would seem to be in everyone's best interest.

Steve

Stephen Whitehouse
Whitehouse & Nichols, LLP
Attorneys at Law