[WSBARP] Excise Tax on Transfer & Lease Question

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu May 29 09:45:03 PDT 2014

Jodi, I haven't handled this specific issue in a lease before, but the
basic truth for any landowner should apply: no matter what you do, any
injured plaintiff is going to sue both the record title owner and the
party in actual possession & control of the land. I think that at best,
all the landlord can do is insure against the risks, maybe consider also
requiring tenant to indemnify landlord in the lease (probably mostly
useless since residential renters aren't likely to have deep pockets).

I don't think waterfront qualifies as "attractive nuisance," if I remember
my law school cases. I don't think a natural condition can be an
attractive nuisance--it has to be something that is either an alteration
to the land, such as a gravel pit, or an improvement, such as a swimming
pool. So I think the "fall in the water" scenario for waterfront is under
standard slip-and-fall principles, which means that the level of duty of
care toward an individual on the land varies based on their status as
invitee, licensee, or trespasser; and principal liability falls on the
person with possession & control of the land (the renter), but the title
owner can still be on the hook if the duty to maintain & repair the
condition that caused the accident remains with the landlord. For a
residential renter, I think a lot of liability will remain with the
landlord because the resident isn't likely to be required to deal with
major maintenance of the land. Landlord should make sure there are no
unavoidable slippery or treacherous conditions near the water, have
barriers and/or warning signs in areas where slippery/dangerous conditions
aren't correctable, might have an express warning in the lease with a
capitalized & boldface waiver and indemnity as to accidents relating to
the water, etc. Bottom line, it's a risk management issue, and the
standard tools to deal with that are insurance policies and
release/indemnity clauses, plus minimizing the actual risk through
correcting or warning of dangerous conditions.

My $0.02.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen