[WSBARP] Common Well

swhite8893 at aol.com swhite8893 at aol.com
Wed May 7 16:54:30 PDT 2014

David,
     When the first of the two properties were conveyed back out by the
common owner, was the deed together with or subject to the well agreement.
If so, then I think as to the first argument, you are clearly foreclosed.
Even if you had some argument, I would think the neighbors deed could be
subject to reformation.
     As a practical matter, I don't think the first approach is going to
sit well with a court and hurts the credibility of your position. A court
will see that everyone expected the property to be served by the well and
will likely find a way to get there.
     On the other hand, your second concern regarding breach has the
neighbor being the bad guy and will engender less sympathy with the court.
I think the more letters you have in your file trying to be the nice guy,
which efforts were rebuffed by the neighbor, the more attractive your
client's position is to the court. You have an opportunity now, prior to
suit, to create a record. Give the neighbor every opportunity to show his
true colors. But remember, if a court sees your client as being 20% the
bad guy and the neighbor 80%, your client is still a bad guy. Take the
high road. It requires real patience from the client but pays off.
     In a case I had years ago, Fawn Lake v. Abers, I must have had 15
letters in my file trying to get the then pro se to be reasonable. Those
letters ended up in the record and I have little doubt influenced the
trial court and Court of Appeals.
     Good luck.

Steve

Stephen Whitehouse