[WSBARP] UD Gurus

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:08:57 PDT 2014

Rob, I agree with everything you have said regarding ejectment.  It is the
appropriate procedure under many circumstances.  The point made by others,
and a procedure successfully used by me, is that if an attorney is more
comfortable using the UD process instead of the ejectment process, there
may be a way of doing it by serving the person in possession of the
premises with a “demand for rent notice.”

I see several advantages with the UD procedure over an ejectment
procedure:

1.  UD is a defined procedure and the Clerk of the Court and the local
sheriff are comfortable with that procedure.  (In my rural county, the
Sheriff didn’t know how to respond to a writ of ejectment and I had to
walk the Clerk and the Sheriff though the procedure).

2.  Chapter 59.18 allows the LL to dump T’s stuff upon eviction with no
liability (I have never had a tenant request storage).  There does not
seem to be a procedure to remove the T’s stuff under ejectment.  If not,
then does the owner have to use a “commercially reasonable” method of
disposing of T’s stuff under ejectment? [This is meant as a real question,
not a rhetorical question for anyone who knows the answer.]

3.  Chapter 59.18 allows attorney fees and costs; I don’t think ejectment
allows the award of fees and costs. (Of course, these are rarely collected
but including attorney fees and cost in the judgment seems to make the
client happier).