[WSBARP] Real Estate Contract (RCW 61.30) for Partially Agricultural Land in lieu of mortgage

swhite8893 at aol.com swhite8893 at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 10:41:08 PDT 2014

That's an interesting question. Back a ways, RECs were always used here
locally. It then changed to DOTs but for no apparent reason I ever heard
expressed. Maybe liability concerns. When the real estate world started
going upside down in 2008, a lot of ideas came up about making
foreclosures more difficult. Some came to pass and some did not. That
seems to have subsided. The problem was, what was going to happen next.
You could do a DOT and all of a sudden there could be significant hurdles
to overcome to foreclose. The Department of Commerce mediation provisions
did not exempt seller financed transactions. However, none of this was
being applied to RECs. So it struck me that doing a DOT was exposing a
selling client to all sorts of unknowns, and a REC seemed to be the best
way to avoid that.
     I would be very interested in hearing what other people think.

Steve

Stephen Whitehouse
Whitehouse & Nichols, LLP
Attorneys at Law