[WSBARP] UD Gurus and Tenant's Possessions

Rick Hoss rhoss at hctc.com
Thu Jun 26 15:02:14 PDT 2014

Re storing or moving a tenant’s personal effects to the curb. I suggest
you read the statute AND exercise common sense. A pro bono referral to me
(under prior statute) had all of her property moved to the curb. The
landlord’s insurance company finally paid the tenant for her loss $30,000.
There were bad facts (one of tenant’s items was prominently displayed in
managers apartment; garbage truck didn’t come the day claimed, confusing
notice). But before I ever participate in removing all of a tenant’s
effects to a curb I will try hard to find a better way. This tenant was
devastated even though she missed a few deadlines. She was delinquent and
wrong, maybe a little unbalanced, but every single personal and family
item she owned was dumped on the curb then gone.