[WSBARP] Deed of Trust- Divorce Decree

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Tue Jan 28 13:46:39 PST 2014

Client brought in a dissolution decree that awarded spouse the primary
residence, but granted client a lien secured by a Deed of Trust for
client’s community award.  Just another one of those quirks that I don’t
think the legislature considered when developing the notice requirements.
It seems absurd to me that I have to follow the pre-notice requirements
because this is a “owner occupied” property (see below for statute
definition).  I am sure that some on here have run into this in context of
non-loan situations whether via divorce, settlement of litigation with a
deed of trust as security, etc.  Anyone have a basis to circumvent the
pre-notice requirement in these no-loan type of arrangements?

    (3) "Borrower" means a person or a general partner in a partnership,
including a joint venture, that is liable for all or part of the
obligations secured by the deed of trust under the instrument or other
document that is the principal evidence of such obligations, or the
person's successors if they are liable for those obligations under a
written agreement with the beneficiary.

     (10) "Owner-occupied" means property that is the principal residence
of the borrower.

If not aware of any basis, anyone aware of any proposed legislation to
limit the applicability to actual loans?

Thank you,

Marcus J. Fry

Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.

Confidentiality: This e-mail transmission may contain information which is
protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If
disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing
Reply (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then
deleting the e-mail.

===============================
- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com
the message: unsubscribe wsbarp

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.

If you do not wish to belong to the WSBARP discussion group, you may
unsubscribe at any time by sending an email from the address you used when
you subscribed to: imail at lists.wsbarppt.com, with the message in the body
of the e-mail: unsubscribe wsbarp - OR - send a message to
webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from the list.