[WSBARP] FINAL UPDATE: Who gets to see the HUD-1

Rich Holland rich at pnwle.com
Thu Feb 27 12:29:30 PST 2014

Thank you again for all of the responses.  Here is what I have discovered
(underlining is mine):

Sec. 3500.10 One-day advance inspection of HUD-1 or HUD-1A settlement
statement; delivery; recordkeeping.

(a) Inspection one day prior to settlement upon request by the borrower.
The settlement agent shall permit the borrower to inspect the HUD-1 or
HUD-1A settlement statement, completed to set forth those items that are
known to the settlement agent at the time of inspection, during the
business day immediately preceding settlement. Items related only to the
seller's transaction may be omitted from the HUD-1.

(b) Delivery. The settlement agent shall provide a completed HUD-1 or
HUD-1A to the borrower, the seller (if there is one), the lender (if the
lender is not the settlement agent), and/or their agents. When the
borrower's and seller's copies of the HUD-1 or HUD-1A differ as permitted
by the instructions in appendix A to this part, both copies shall be
provided to the lender (if the lender is not the settlement agent). The
settlement agent shall deliver the completed HUD-1 or HUD-1A at or before
the settlement, except as provided in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this
section  (My comment:  c & d have to do with the buyer waiving or not
showing up)

Appendix A to Part 3500--Instructions for Completing HUD-1 and HUD-1A
Settlement Statements; Sample HUD-1 and HUD-1A Statements:

Lines and columns in section J which relate to the Borrower's transaction
may be left blank on the copy of the HUD–1 which will be furnished to the
Seller. Lines and columns in section K which relate to the Seller's
transaction may be left blank on the copy of the HUD–1 which will be
furnished to the Borrower.

Section J. Summary of Borrower's Transaction. (My comment:  Section covers
Lines 101 – 303)

Section K. Summary of Seller's Transaction. Instructions for the use of
Lines 101 and 102 and 104–112 above, apply also to Lines 401–412. Line 420
is for the total of Lines 401 through 412. (My comment:  Section also
covers Lines 501-603)

All of this is to say that leaving the information out is permitted and
disclosing it does not seem to be required.  It doesn’t provide a FIRM
answer but holding to the policy is, at least, not a violation of anything
from what I have been able to determine and, in conjunction with my
earlier update, provides some clarity.

Thanks,

Rich Holland