[WSBARP] Who is My Client?

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:26:36 PST 2014

Thanks to all who answered my post.

From: wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
[mailto:wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Eric Nelsen
Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:19 PM
To: WSBA Real Property Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBARP] Who is My Client?

I think in the DPOA context you can play it either way, in a manner that
probate doesn't necessarily allow.

1. Agent could be the client, and the scope of representation would be "to
assist and advise agent in her/his fiduciary duties toward the principal, on
understood task to evict tenants at principal's mobile home park." In this
scenario, no attorney-client privilege attaches to any communication with
the principal, and the duties of the lawyer are a little different, because
the idea is to keep the agent out of trouble by ensuring that exercise of
the DPOA is for principal's benefit and not for the client-agent. Would
advise on whether and when to evict in the principal's interest.

2. Principal could be the client, and the scope of representation would be
"to assist and advise client on evicting tenants at client's mobile home
park" with the agent protected by client's attorney-client privilege as a
necessary part of communication. Duty would be directly to the principal,
and advising whether and when to evict.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen