[WSBARP] [SPAM] restrictions on show of listing by seller

Lynn Arends lynn at lynnarends.com
Mon Apr 14 16:46:10 PDT 2014

It’s NWMLS Rule 11 that talks about permissible restrictions on showing
and sale.  Some restrictions are permitted if that restriction is
disclosed in the listing’s “Remarks” Section and other restrictions
require the Seller’s signed written request.  As to choice of lender, this
restriction requirers the Letter on File by the Seller and the specific
verbiage is:

Rule 11(b)(viii) The seller requires that the buyer be pre-qualified or
pre-approved by an identified lender.

The good news is that while the buyer must apply (and pay to do so), the
buyer does not have to actually use that financing.  I too own a Real
Estate office and I find this to be just obnoxious.  When I first came
across this on a Short Sale listing back in 2009, it didn’t take much to
uncover the relationship between the agent and the mortgage broker.

I’m told that the thinking behind this restriction is so that buyers don’t
come in with their pre-qual from Shifting Sands Lender which isn’t worth
the paper it’s written on and so the seller has a way of forcing the buyer
to show their financing ability by making them pre-qual or pre-approve
with Big Bank lender of their choice.  Ironically, in today’s tighter
credit times, this rule has the opposite effect.  A buyer already
pre-qualified with Big Bank now has to apply with Shifting Sands,
coincidentally owned by the real estate broker’s sister, brother-in-law,
himself (you get the idea). . .

Even the big banks have gotten into this game on their short sales.
Nationstar, for example, would routinely require that the buyers apply
with them even if the buyers already were pre-approved with another
lender.  On any of my short sale listings where Nationstar was the 1st
lienholder, I would often have to put that on the listing and make sure
the buyer’s agent knew in advance of mutual that there was no getting
around this.  Nationstar even required a cash buyer get pre-qualified with
them!

I agree with Steve, there’s usually a back door relationship going on and
I believe the real estate agent still has to present all offers, even
those that don’t meet the lender criteria.

- Lynn

              Lynn Arends
                     Attorney | Designated Broker
    LYNN ARENDS LAW GROUP, PLLC & LYNN ARENDS REALTY GROUP
                         323 1st Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119

d: 206.769.LYNN (5966)   o: 206.282.4848   f: 206.350.5030   e:
<mailto:lynn at lynnarends.com> lynn at lynnarends.com   w:
<applewebdata://C91D66F9-5411-4CBE-B39D-E2BAC59F2535/www.lynnarends.com>
www.lynnarends.com

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all
copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.