<div dir="ltr"><div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Thank you. </div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br>I want to offer a bit of clarification. </div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">I do ask for preferences and will update those when years go by. </div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">This question stemmed from today when a client asked me to email her as we were talking and it was discovered that she had confused the two.  She did not want to wait to have it mailed via USPS. </div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">I therefore revise my query to narrow my request for input - do any of you use an office text messaging process/service?</div><br clear="all"></div><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Brent
Williams-Ruth</span></b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> (pronouns: he/him)<br>
<i>Attorney-At-Law</i></span></p><p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Law
Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, </span></b><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><font size="1">a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC</font></span></b><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"></span></b></p><p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal
Way, WA 98003</span></b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"></span></p><p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><font color="#ff0000">Mailing Address:</font> </span></b><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063 </span></b></p><p><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Office/Scheduling
Phone:<span style="color:#004080"> </span><font color="#ff0000">(253) 285-7751</font></span></p><p><font color="#ff0000" face="Times New Roman, serif">For All Meetings & Scheduling: <a href="mailto:info@williams-ruthlaw.com" target="_blank">info@williams-ruthlaw.com</a></font></p><p>









</p><p><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><a href="mailto:Brent@Williams-RuthLaw.com" target="_blank">e-mail</a> / <a href="http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/" target="_blank">website</a> /</span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> </span><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw" target="_blank"><span style="font-size:9.5pt">facebook</span></a></span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> / </span><span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"></span></p></div></div></div></div><br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 11:22 AM Katie Smith Patel <<a href="mailto:katie@paracletelaw.com">katie@paracletelaw.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div class="msg8090842274218113960">





<div lang="EN-US" style="overflow-wrap: break-word;">
<div class="m_8090842274218113960WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt">The majority of my work is remote, which inevitably involves some technology.  I try to get their preferences for communications at the first contact.  “Do you regularly use email?” is a gateway question. 
 If the answer is no and they are too far to meet with in person, I frequently find someone local who can meet with them in person because I worry that following instructions for a remote signing may be too confusing.  Even with clients who are very comfortable
 with electronic communication, I tend to default to paper on the basis that drafts are easier to review in that format and I believe it is more client-friendly.  I use a lot of paper, binders, tabs, priority mail, and postage-paid return envelopes.  For intake,
 I like the security of paper and mail and caution clients to avoid email for this kind of personal information.  For interim communications like confirming names and addresses, an old fashioned telephone call works fine if I sense email is not preferred –
 the downside is efficiency when clients are in the mood for chit chat – but I view it as part of building a relationship.
<u></u><u></u></span></p><a href="https://www.google.com/maps/search/112+Genessee+Street+%0D%0A+Medford,+OR+97504?entry=gmail&source=g">
</a><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt">The bottom line is that communicating to fit the preferences of the client is always going to be easier than educating the client to prefer my preferences and improve their technological competence.<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt">Katie Patel<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt">Paraclete Estate Planning, LLC<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><a href="tel:(541)%20499-9085" value="+15414999085" target="_blank">(541) 499-9085</a> (direct)<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><a href="https://www.google.com/maps/search/112+Genessee+Street+%0D%0A+Medford,+OR+97504?entry=gmail&source=g">112 Genessee Street</a><u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><a href="https://www.google.com/maps/search/112+Genessee+Street+%0D%0A+Medford,+OR+97504?entry=gmail&source=g">Medford, OR 97504</a><u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11pt"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<div style="border-width:1pt medium medium;border-style:solid none none;border-color:rgb(225,225,225) currentcolor currentcolor;padding:3pt 0in 0in">
<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">From:</span></b><span style="font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"> <a href="mailto:wsbapt-bounces@lists.wsbarppt.com" target="_blank">wsbapt-bounces@lists.wsbarppt.com</a> <<a href="mailto:wsbapt-bounces@lists.wsbarppt.com" target="_blank">wsbapt-bounces@lists.wsbarppt.com</a>>
<b>On Behalf Of </b>Brent Williams-Ruth<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, September 28, 2026 10:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <<a href="mailto:WSBAPT@lists.wsbarppt.com" target="_blank">WSBAPT@lists.wsbarppt.com</a>><br>
<b>Subject:</b> [WSBAPT] Elder Clients Confusing Text and Email<u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Greetings Colleagues who do Estate Planning - <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am looking for ideas/suggestions/assistance on dealing with technology challenges with clients in a higher age bracket. <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">My office has really encountered an uptick of clients confusing text messages with emails.  I do a lot of plain language recap with clients sent as email just to help confirm spelling of names,
 addresses, correct order of telephone number digits, etc. <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">My office DOES NOT have a cell phone and I am not technologically savvy enough to know how to send an email to a telephone number (if that is even a thing....feel free to educate me on that if
 it is). <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">A client this morning confessed that they have not been using email for the past two years because they cannot figure out how to reset their password after getting locked out. <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I fancy myself as someone who works well with elderly clients but find myself at a loss in this particular situation. Appreciate any thoughts you may wish to share. <u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Brent<u></u><u></u></span></p>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><br clear="all">
<u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Brent Williams-Ruth</span></b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> (pronouns: he/him)<br>
<i>Attorney-At-Law</i></span><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, </span></b><b><span style="font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC</span></b><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Physical Address: <a href="https://www.google.com/maps/search/500+S+336th+Street,+Suite+214;+Federal+Way,+WA+98003?entry=gmail&source=g">500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003</a></span></b><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;color:red">Mailing Address:</span></b><b><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063 </span></b><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif">Office/Scheduling Phone:<span style="color:rgb(0,64,128)"> </span><span style="color:red"><a href="tel:(253)%20285-7751" value="+12532857751" target="_blank">(253) 285-7751</a></span></span><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;color:red">For All Meetings & Scheduling:
<a href="mailto:info@williams-ruthlaw.com" target="_blank">info@williams-ruthlaw.com</a></span><u></u><u></u></p>
<p><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><a href="mailto:Brent@Williams-RuthLaw.com" target="_blank">e-mail</a> / <a href="http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/" target="_blank">website</a> /</span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> </span><span style="font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw" target="_blank"><span style="font-size:9.5pt">facebook</span></a></span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif"> / </span><u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

***Disclaimer: Please note that RPPT listserv participation is not restricted to practicing attorneys and may include non-practicing attorneys, law students, professionals working in related fields, and others.***<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
WSBAPT mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:WSBAPT@lists.wsbarppt.com" target="_blank">WSBAPT@lists.wsbarppt.com</a><br>
<a href="http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt</a></div></blockquote></div>