[WSBAPT] Amending Trust where Family Is Not in the Terms

Virginia Antipolo virginia at aplawfirm.com
Mon Sep 28 16:47:09 PDT 2026


Belt and suspenders . . . list in the recitals as in the original document for consistency and add a new cross reference under the recitals to new section “x” in the amendment that identifies the family?

Virginia C. Antipolo
Antipolo & Paul Law Firm, P.S.
2825 Colby Avenue, Suite 203
Everett, WA  98201
(425) 303-9100, ext. 111
(425) 258-9685 (fax)
virginia at aplawfirm.com<mailto:virginia at aplawfirm.com>
_______________________________________
Under recently issued IRS regulations, we must inform you that any US tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under federal tax law.  By regulation, a taxpayer cannot rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties unless that advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to strict requirements.
_______________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This information contained in this email message and attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, disclosure, distribution or copying of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you think you received this message in error, please delete the message and email the sender at virginia at aplawfirm.com<mailto:virginia at aplawfirm.com>.

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Brent Williams-Ruth
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 4:35 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Amending Trust where Family Is Not in the Terms

I am just not doing a great job today with my questions.  My apologies.

I am truly just trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that the family was listed in a recital before the actual enumerated terms began.

Normally, when I do a trust amendment, I will say Article 1, Paragraph 6 is deleted in its entirety and replace with.......type in new Article 1, Paragraph 6.

I cannot use the same formatting because the family is not in an article, but listed as a preamble statement that says, effectively I am married to bob, bob and I do not have any kids, I have two kids from prior marriage...

Then, throughout the rest of the Trust, it makes reference to Daughter Elizabeth or Son Steven.

Well now we need to make adjustments where we do not have gendered children and instead says Trustors Children, Mars and Mercury.

Obviously, I am not using real names - but the issue is the same.

Should I create a new article at the end and just add Article 36 - Identification of Family - so that it is given a formal place in the Trust or just have it included in the Recitals at the start?  Normally my recitals are simply detailing the procedural history of original creation, first amendment second amendment, third amendment with full restatement, fourth amendment, etc....

Thank you!


Brent Williams-Ruth (pronouns: he/him)
Attorney-At-Law

Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC

Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003

Mailing Address: PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751

For All Meetings & Scheduling: info at williams-ruthlaw.com<mailto:info at williams-ruthlaw.com>

e-mail<mailto:Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /


On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:24 PM Diane Kiepe <diane at kiepelaw.com<mailto:diane at kiepelaw.com>> wrote:
This may seem like overkill but I also add a statement along these lines: "I have carefully considered my estate and the distribution thereof.  Except in the event of a failure of beneficiaries, I intentionally make no bequest (or if a trust, no distribution) to any person or entity known or unknown to me."  I also define children and descendants more narrowly then some documents I have seen.

Diane Kiepe, J.D., LL.M. Taxation
Kiepe Estate and Probate, PLLC
diane at kiepelaw.com<mailto:diane at kiepelaw.com>
200 N. Mullan Rd., Suite 203<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+Spokane+Valley,+WA%C2%A0+99206?entry=gmail&source=g>
Spokane Valley, WA  99206<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+Spokane+Valley,+WA%C2%A0+99206?entry=gmail&source=g>
509-808-2087<tel:(509)%20808-2087>
Confidentiality Notice: This page and any accompanying documents contain information that is confidential, privileged, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. This information is private and protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 4:19 PM Heather de Vrieze <heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>> wrote:
I sure don’t think it is “required” but it is good evidence of knowledge of their heirs and a roadmap for the folks who follow (the next attorney) needing to administer the will/trust for the benefit of my children/issue/descendants. . <https://www.google.com/maps/search/3909+California+Avenue+SW+%0D%0A+Seattle,+WA+98116-3705?entry=gmail&source=g> . .

Heather S. de Vrieze
(she/her)
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01DD4F69.02BA7F40]
3909 California Avenue SW<https://www.google.com/maps/search/3909+California+Avenue+SW+%0D%0A+Seattle,+WA+98116-3705?entry=gmail&source=g>
Seattle, WA 98116-3705<https://www.google.com/maps/search/3909+California+Avenue+SW+%0D%0A+Seattle,+WA+98116-3705?entry=gmail&source=g>                          <https://www.google.com/maps/search/3909+California+Avenue+SW+%0D%0A+Seattle,+WA+98116-3705?entry=gmail&source=g>
(206)938-5500<tel:(206)%20938-5500>
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

For your advance planning, Heather will be out of the office mid-October (12th-22nd).

UPDATE: deVrieze | Carney PLLC will be CLOSED on FRIDAYS through January 1, 2027, returning to a five day work week January 4, 2027
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com>> On Behalf Of Diane Kiepe
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 4:15 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Amending Trust where Family Is Not in the Terms

I am in the habit of listing the names and you could even say (as to the children), whose names currently are.....

Some attorneys put down the current name and then a FKA name.

Diane Kiepe, J.D., LL.M. Taxation
Kiepe Estate and Probate, PLLC
diane at kiepelaw.com<mailto:diane at kiepelaw.com>
200 N. Mullan Rd., Suite 203<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+%0D%0A+Spokane+Valley,+WA+99206?entry=gmail&source=g>
Spokane Valley, WA<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+%0D%0A+Spokane+Valley,+WA+99206?entry=gmail&source=g>  <https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+%0D%0A+Spokane+Valley,+WA+%C2%A0++99206?entry=gmail&source=g> 99206<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+N.+Mullan+Rd.,+Suite+203+%0D%0A+Spokane+Valley,+WA+99206?entry=gmail&source=g>
509-808-2087<tel:(509)%20808-2087>
Confidentiality Notice: This page and any accompanying documents contain information that is confidential, privileged, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. This information is private and protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 3:59 PM Brent Williams-Ruth <brent at williams-ruthlaw.com<mailto:brent at williams-ruthlaw.com>> wrote:
I have an RLT done by another attorney. The attorney did not have a paragraph in the terms that specifically identified the family and issue of the Trustor, but stated that she is married and has kids from a prior marriage in the preamble recitals.

As I am doing the amendment - should I just include an update to this? The issue is that one child has married and has a different name; another child has transitioned and has a new legal name.

I had not encountered this before where I couldn't simply write "Amend Paragrah 1.5 to say......" because they are in the list of recitals that are not enumerated but "Witnesseth"


Brent Williams-Ruth (pronouns: he/him)
Attorney-At-Law

Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC

Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003<https://www.google.com/maps/search/500+S+336th+Street,+Suite+214;+Federal%0D%0AWay,+WA+98003?entry=gmail&source=g>

Mailing Address: PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751<tel:(253)%20285-7751>

For All Meetings & Scheduling: info at williams-ruthlaw.com<mailto:info at williams-ruthlaw.com>

e-mail<mailto:Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /
***Disclaimer: Please note that RPPT listserv participation is not restricted to practicing attorneys and may include non-practicing attorneys, law students, professionals working in related fields, and others.***
_______________________________________________
WSBAPT mailing list
WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com>
http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt
***Disclaimer: Please note that RPPT listserv participation is not restricted to practicing attorneys and may include non-practicing attorneys, law students, professionals working in related fields, and others.***
_______________________________________________
WSBAPT mailing list
WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com>
http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt
***Disclaimer: Please note that RPPT listserv participation is not restricted to practicing attorneys and may include non-practicing attorneys, law students, professionals working in related fields, and others.***
_______________________________________________
WSBAPT mailing list
WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com>
http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/wsbapt/attachments/20260928/50d949c0/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 17884 bytes
Desc: image001.jpg
URL: <http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/wsbapt/attachments/20260928/50d949c0/image001.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image002.png
Type: image/png
Size: 18009 bytes
Desc: image002.png
URL: <http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/wsbapt/attachments/20260928/50d949c0/image002.png>


More information about the WSBAPT mailing list