[WSBAPT] Elder Clients Confusing Text and Email

Shannon Jones shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com
Mon Sep 28 11:52:07 PDT 2026


Our office uses “RingCentral” for our phones which includes text capability and an APP I use on my personal cell phone. The texts come through on my computer when I’m in office and on my cell phone when I’m not. I can answer calls and text using the APP on my cell w/o the client actually having my personal cell phone number.


[cid:image001.png at 01DD4F3F.C85BDB60]
Shannon R. Jones | Attorney
Campbell Barnett PLLC
Direct:  253.848.3515
Office: 253.848.3513| Fax: 253.845.4941
317 South Meridian
Puyallup, WA 98371
shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com<mailto:shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com>
campbellbarnettlaw.com<https://campbellbarnettlaw.com/>

This transmission contains confidential attorney-client communications and may not be disclosed to any person but the intended recipient(s).  If this matter is transmitted to you in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately.




From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Brent Williams-Ruth
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 11:47 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Elder Clients Confusing Text and Email

Thank you.

I want to offer a bit of clarification.

I do ask for preferences and will update those when years go by.

This question stemmed from today when a client asked me to email her as we were talking and it was discovered that she had confused the two.  She did not want to wait to have it mailed via USPS.

I therefore revise my query to narrow my request for input - do any of you use an office text messaging process/service?


Brent Williams-Ruth (pronouns: he/him)
Attorney-At-Law

Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC

Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003

Mailing Address: PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751

For All Meetings & Scheduling: info at williams-ruthlaw.com<mailto:info at williams-ruthlaw.com>

e-mail<mailto:Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /


On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 11:22 AM Katie Smith Patel <katie at paracletelaw.com<mailto:katie at paracletelaw.com>> wrote:
The majority of my work is remote, which inevitably involves some technology.  I try to get their preferences for communications at the first contact.  “Do you regularly use email?” is a gateway question.  If the answer is no and they are too far to meet with in person, I frequently find someone local who can meet with them in person because I worry that following instructions for a remote signing may be too confusing.  Even with clients who are very comfortable with electronic communication, I tend to default to paper on the basis that drafts are easier to review in that format and I believe it is more client-friendly.  I use a lot of paper, binders, tabs, priority mail, and postage-paid return envelopes.  For intake, I like the security of paper and mail and caution clients to avoid email for this kind of personal information.  For interim communications like confirming names and addresses, an old fashioned telephone call works fine if I sense email is not preferred – the downside is efficiency when clients are in the mood for chit chat – but I view it as part of building a relationship.

The bottom line is that communicating to fit the preferences of the client is always going to be easier than educating the client to prefer my preferences and improve their technological competence.

Katie Patel
Paraclete Estate Planning, LLC
(541) 499-9085<tel:(541)%20499-9085> (direct)
112 Genessee Street<https://www.google.com/maps/search/112+Genessee+Street+%0D%0A+Medford,+OR+97504?entry=gmail&source=g>
Medford, OR 97504<https://www.google.com/maps/search/112+Genessee+Street+%0D%0A+Medford,+OR+97504?entry=gmail&source=g>



From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com>> On Behalf Of Brent Williams-Ruth
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 10:52 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com>>
Subject: [WSBAPT] Elder Clients Confusing Text and Email

Greetings Colleagues who do Estate Planning -

I am looking for ideas/suggestions/assistance on dealing with technology challenges with clients in a higher age bracket.

My office has really encountered an uptick of clients confusing text messages with emails.  I do a lot of plain language recap with clients sent as email just to help confirm spelling of names, addresses, correct order of telephone number digits, etc.

My office DOES NOT have a cell phone and I am not technologically savvy enough to know how to send an email to a telephone number (if that is even a thing....feel free to educate me on that if it is).

A client this morning confessed that they have not been using email for the past two years because they cannot figure out how to reset their password after getting locked out.

I fancy myself as someone who works well with elderly clients but find myself at a loss in this particular situation. Appreciate any thoughts you may wish to share.

Brent


Brent Williams-Ruth (pronouns: he/him)
Attorney-At-Law

Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC

Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003<https://www.google.com/maps/search/500+S+336th+Street,+Suite+214;+Federal+Way,+WA+98003?entry=gmail&source=g>

Mailing Address: PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751<tel:(253)%20285-7751>

For All Meetings & Scheduling: info at williams-ruthlaw.com<mailto:info at williams-ruthlaw.com>

e-mail<mailto:Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /
***Disclaimer: Please note that RPPT listserv participation is not restricted to practicing attorneys and may include non-practicing attorneys, law students, professionals working in related fields, and others.***
_______________________________________________
WSBAPT mailing list
WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com<mailto:WSBAPT at lists.wsbarppt.com>
http://mailman.fsr.com/mailman/listinfo/wsbapt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/wsbapt/attachments/20260928/5e01c368/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 5361 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL: <http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/wsbapt/attachments/20260928/5e01c368/image001.png>


More information about the WSBAPT mailing list