[WSBAPT] To trust or not to trust

Shannon Jones shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com
Wed Mar 27 18:16:36 PDT 2024

Look up the homestead in the county where they own this house; sounds like it’s their primary residence and it’d be safe from judgement

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2024, at 5:55 PM, Philip N. Jones <pjones at duffykekel.com> wrote:

Make sure they (or daughter) has lots of automobile liability insurance, plus an umbrella policy.  Of course, if daughter has a bad driving record, that insurance will be very expensive.
That will maybe cause a victim to not go after the house.
If the victim does go after the house, the victim can get only a half interest.  Not sure where that will get the victim.  I’m assuming the house is tenants in common.  Check with a PI attorney to see if my answer is correct.
Not sure if a trust will solve any of these problems.
I wish I had more solutions to offer.  A difficult situation.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones |Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave., Suite 2500, Portland OR 97204
(503) 226-1371 (main) ) | (503) 226-3574 (fax)
(503) 853-1482 (cell)
pjones at duffykekel.com<mailto:pjones at duffykekel.com>