[WSBAPT] To trust or not to trust

Dewey Weddle dwweddle at msn.com
Wed Mar 27 17:37:14 PDT 2024

Oh Wise Ones,

Do any of you have any recommendations to address the following fact pattern?

Mother is 82 years old and is in very, very good health.
Adult daughter has an alcohol problem and is presently in treatment, but it is a chronic condition and the chances of relapse are high.
Mother and daughter live together in a house that they both own, titled in their names.

Mother is very concerned that her daughter might get into an automobile accident or cause some other injury and that a potential plaintiff might come after the house to satisfy a judgment.  Mother is also concerned that one day she might need money to pay for the cost of long-term care and that her interest in the house may be the only asset she has to help meet those costs.

Neither of them can buy the other out.  Of course, like everyone else is similar circumstances, they have been advised by non-attorneys that putting the house into a trust can magically solve all of their problems, and perhaps it could solve some of them.

Sorry if this sounds like a bar exam question, but I would be eternally grateful for the sage advice any of you might offer to help me help them.

Best regards to all,

Dewey

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC

909 7th Street