[WSBAPT] Resolving Potential Conflict Between Will and TODD

Lenard Wittlake lwlaw at my180.net
Tue Jan 30 14:12:01 PST 2024

I think Diane is saying that the residue of the estate is first in line to
pay expenses & creditors(RCW 11.10), which may entirely consume the residue.
Only after that will specific bequests and then non-probate assets be liable
for expenses.  So by using a POD on one account or a TODD for one piece of
property and making them non-probate assets that go straight to the
beneficiary without helping to pay expenses, a client can create conflict in
the family.  These tools can affect different heirs differently.

Lenard L Wittlake, PLLC

Attorney & Counselor at Law

22 East Poplar Street, Suite 202

P.O. Box 1233

Walla Walla, WA 99362

(509) 529-1529 voice

(509) 850-3515 fax

 <mailto:Lenard at wittlakelaw.com> Lenard at wittlakelaw.com

The information contained in this email may be privileged, confidential or

otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you received this email in error,

please reply to the sender that you have received this information in error

and delete this email.