[WSBAPT] Deed signed prior to death (not recorded and no REETA executed)

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu Jan 4 11:44:44 PST 2024

Yikes indeed.  Although it sounds easy, inexpensive, etc., lots of problems could surface.  What if the client forgets about the deed in your file and goes out and signs and records a different deed, and then dies.  What do you do?  (I had that happen once.)  What if the client’s estate plan changes due to remarriage, death of a beneficiary, etc.?  And after your client dies, who exactly is your client?  And (as you mention) you die or retire?  And will a title insurance company be willing to insure title based on a deed recorded years later, after death.  And then there are issues with using a quitclaim deed.  The list of issues goes on and on . . .
I suggest that we not hold unrecorded deeds for our clients.  Ever.  As noted above, I did it once.  Never again.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500