[WSBAPT] Revocation of TODD?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Tue Feb 27 08:35:27 PST 2024

I think these situations come down to “will the assessor’s office and a local title company accept – i.e., change tax rolls and insure title – based on whatever you record.”

For my part, I’m wondering how anyone knows the property was community property such that a simple revocation by the surviving spouse is valid under the statute you mention. I could imagine one or the other of the above entities wanting to see something like a declaration recorded with the spouse’s death certificate as an exhibit (or separately recorded) declaring it was community property and it is now held by surviving spouse individually – and then perhaps that spouse records a new TODD next in line or “something” like that.

But I could also imagine nobody questioning any of that and a single document simply changing the TODD as the surviving spouse.

Which is why, to come full circle, see sentence number one above. 😊Best, Josh