[WSBAPT] What are the specific requirements for creation of a trust?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu Feb 22 06:56:24 PST 2024

Andrekita,

I was immediately hooked by this fact pattern but could not sit down to think about it until now.

I think the word “text” in our electronic wills statute is going to be difficult to overcome, even if this audio-video “record” is authenticated by the testator and two witnesses (if, say they say their names and that they were there for entire video’s making).

But at least I finally had time to dig into 11.98 and I think you at least must dig into the possibility of having an oral trust under Washington law if decedent was at his death domiciled in Washington, as I assume.

Look at http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.98.014 and then go backward to the provisions regarding creation of a trust.

It strikes me that you very well may get a court to find without stretching anything too far that he was creating a trust without saying the word trust, which I don’t see being required. There seems a clear identification of property, a named trustee, a named beneficiary, etc.

But any case law or persuasive judicial gloss on these provisions above seems likely to be the key. (I went to law school in the other Washington (DC), however, so I don’t know Washington law on this topic at all, and I don’t know the professors and others on this list well enough to ask them to suggest cases.)

Anyhow, you (from this list) "know me by now." I’d write more if I could 🫣😬, as I'm all excited and intrigued. But I’m barely keeping up this week as it is.

If any of that is a start, great. If I've merely excitedly related the most obvious of provisions and starting points to zero benefit, well, then, shoot...😉

Assuming this video and the people involved are legit, of course, then I hope this works. I would love to know what you find out, even if you’re game simply to share a controlling WA case or something.

(Aside: It’s so unfortunate they didn’t know to have someone transcribe his words even in a rudimentary form and do a basic (Washington compliant) electronic will, which would’ve been easily provable even though executed and witnessed abroad with a remote notary from any of our offices or even an online RON service for $50 or so. Alas.)

Godspeed! Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street