[WSBAPT] Medicaid lien exception - child caring for parent?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu Feb 15 17:23:20 PST 2024

Eric,

It's called the child caregiver exception; I have seen a memo analyzing it that I'm not at liberty to share; and I know just enough to cite that shorthand name and be dangerous.

If you Google "child caregiver exception to medicaid recovery" I see lots of results the best of which should get you where you need to go.

I hope this family qualifies if that son lived there the 2+ years that I "think" the exception requires the child to have lived in the parent's home before the caregiving child can receive the home as a gift protected from recovery.

Best, Josh