[WSBAPT] CPA v. Probate

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Feb 12 17:10:27 PST 2024

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

February 12, 2024

Jeff,

Assuming that the CPA converted Deceased inherited separate property into community property, and assuming the CPA is otherwise valid without defects, I would say that pursuant to RCW 26.16.120, the real property would not require a probate.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 940
Seattle, Washington 98101-2509
206-224-8288
ak at seattle-silvalaw.com

On 2024-02-12 14:39, Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com wrote:

> Listmates:
>
> Decedent inherited real property from father.  Decedent later
> remarried and, with his new wife, executed a Community Property
> Agreement.  He also executed a new Will leaving everything to his new
> wife.  I know we debated the value of a CPA vs. Probate and a personal
> representative's deed, but I forget what the final conclusions were.
> I know the surviving spouse would like to avoid probate and we have
> the CPA.  Is there any downside to just recording it?
>
> Jeff Davis
>
> W. Jeff Davis
>
> BELL & DAVIS PLLC
>
> Attorneys at Law
> P.O. Box 510
>
> 720 E. Washington Street, Suite 105
> Sequim WA 98382
> Phone: (360) 683.1129
> Fax: (360) 683.1258
> email: jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
> www.bellanddavispllc.com [1] [1 [2]]
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged,
> confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is
> strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail
> message in error, please e-mail the sender at
> info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call 360.683.1129.
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.bellanddavispllc.com/