[WSBAPT] Presumption of Death after 7 years

Sarah Cuellar attorney at sarahcuellar.com
Wed Apr 24 13:33:46 PDT 2024

All,

Has anyone had experience using RCW 11.05A.050(5), which states that "[a]n
individual whose death is not established under this section who is absent
for a continuous period of seven years, during which he or she has not been
heard from, and whose absence is not satisfactorily explained after
diligent search or inquiry, is presumed to be dead."?

How does one go about invoking this statute? Can I cite it in a Petition
for establishing probate to explain away a missing heir, or do I need to
move for a separate order (separate TEDRA case!?) that declares Heir A
deceased by reason of RCW 11.05A.050(5)?

My (free) caselaw databases don't return a single case that cites this
statute.

Thanks for your time,

Sarah

Law Office of Sarah N. Cuellar, PLLC

665 S. Clark Ave., Unit 2

P.O. Box 904

Republic, WA 99166

(509) 207-9162 phone

(509) 357-1604 fax

OFFICE HOURS: 8:00am to 2:30pm Monday - Thursday, 8:00am to 1:00pm Friday.
Hours are subject to change for federal and school holidays and family
illness. Emails will generally not be returned outside of office hours. If
you are a current client and need to contact me immediately, please call
and leave a message.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIAL/PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION This email and any files
transmitted with it may be protected by the attorney/client privilege, work
product doctrine, or other confidentiality protections. It is intended
solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.