[WSBAPT] Abandoned Mobile Home

jbdolan at jbdolan.com jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Wed Apr 24 12:59:08 PDT 2024

I once had a similar probate with several abandoned RVs on the estate property.  At least in Island County, a Sheriff’s Deputy will come out to the property, run the VIN,  and complete some simple paperwork that the PR sends to the registered owner by registered mail.  I believe it was called a “Junk Vehicle Affidavit” or something similar.  If the registered owner does not respond in a certain amount of time (I seem to recall 10 or 15 days) then a salvage yard can take it.  Not sure if the same applies in Whatcom County.  Hauling it away can be expensive, especially if there is asbestos insulation, which most of the old mobile homes have.  Not sure what to say about the lien.  The lien holder (I’m guessing the original lender) should be a public record, no?  If so, has the lien expired?  If not, is the lien holder an ascertainable creditor?

Jim Dolan

Jones Butler Dolan, PS

P.O. Box 458

10027 SR 532