[WSBAPT] Trinity Alps campsite

Kate Szurek kate at skagitlaw.com
Wed Apr 17 14:04:21 PDT 2024

Any possible referrals to someone who could provide us with a "certified appraisal" for a campsite in the Trinity Alps Wilderness?  California.  Not accessed by decedent or his family for decades (since my 50 year old client was young); purchased by decedent and his late wife and some of their buddies when he started teaching at UC Berkeley years and years ago.  We have a deed, so we included it on the WA estate tax return based on the county's "assessed/market value."  Took no discounts, including as a partial interest.  Beneficiary/PR spent some time trying to find the other owners, to no avail.  Counted on the department to give it a pass (as has been our experience), given it only counts for the state because of the way the tax is computed, and because it is intuitively obvious that the cost of getting much further down the road is going to quickly overrun any additional tax that could be assessed, as it has already overrun the potential for benefit to the estate.  (I'm trying to keep a tight rein on my frustration here; can you tell?)

Anyway, most of this is venting.  But if you have any ideas for referrals, I would be beyond grateful.

Thanks!

Kate

Kate Szurek, J.D., LL.M. (in Taxation)
kate at skagitlaw.com<mailto:kate at skagitlaw.com>

[SkagitLaw_Signature (2)]
Skagit Law Group, PLLC
P.O. Box 336 / 227 Freeway Drive, Suite B
Mount Vernon, WA  98273
360.336.1000
360.336.6690 (fax)
http://www.skagitlaw.com<http://www.skagitlaw.com/>