[WSBAPT] 401K without a beneficiary

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri Sep 29 13:51:59 PDT 2023

Anna,

The 401(k) may or may not be a probate asset. Whether or not the decedent named a beneficiary, most plan documents identify default beneficiaries, and there is no rhyme nor reason to these. I have seen one where the estate was second in line after a spouse, others where the estate was fourth or fifth, after spouse, descendants, parents, siblings. . . so, you need to see the plan document. This will be easier (but not as easy as it should be) with an open probate and Personal Representative.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9F2DC.1C984B50]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

FYI – Heather will be out of the Office September 5-22.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.