[WSBAPT] Nonprobate NTC Question

Elizabeth Bateman Elizabeth at batemanlawgroup.com
Tue Sep 26 16:26:16 PDT 2023

Generally credit card debt taken out during the marriage is community debt, in which case the entire community property estate (including survivor’s half) can be used to satisfy the debt.  See RCW 11.10.030.  Joint bank accounts can absolutely be subject to creditors (see RCW 11.18.200), though the life insurance would be exempt.  I suppose if the credit cards were taken out without her knowledge and were used solely for separate expenses and not used for community expenses you could make the argument that it is separate debt, but the decedent’s portion of the community property is still reachable.  I personally would probably file a probate, provide/publish notice to creditors, and petition the court for an award of family support/award in lieu of homestead under RCW 11.54.010.

Elizabeth G. Bateman
Attorney
Admitted in Washington and Minnesota
Bateman Law Group, PLLC