[WSBAPT] trustee paying burial costs of beneficiary

Joshua Grant jgrant at advocateslg.com
Wed Sep 20 16:27:47 PDT 2023

Client is a trustee for her sister who is the beneficiary and who has passed on.
The special needs Testamentary trust is worded to allow Trustee to pay: "for assistance with care, support, education and activities that supplement other benefits which would ordinarily be received by or are being or will be received by the beneficiary." It also provides "The Trustee's shall have in the sole discretion to determine what disbursements shall be made for the beneficiary's benefit..."  There is nothing specific for paying burial costs.  Is there any general authority which would allow a trustee to pay for the burial expenses of the trust's beneficiaries? I think all beneficiary's kids, who are the remainder beneficiaries would sign a TEDRA agreement allowing the Trustee to pay these.. but I was wondering if it could be done without that.
Josh

Joshua F. Grant
[cid:image001.png at 01D9EBDF.633D33D0]
P. O. Box 619