[WSBAPT] Abandon King Co. Probate and Commence new Probate in Pierce Co.?

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Tue Sep 19 10:08:33 PDT 2023

What if I petition the King County Superior Court to revoke the letters of administration, admit the will to probate, appoint a new personal representative, and then file a motion for change of venue per RCW 11.96A.050(4)?  The trigger is “within four months of the mailing of the notice of appointment and pendency of probate.”  With a new PR, there is a new notice of appointment that must be sent… Change of venue (if I can convince the court that I’m within the time prescribed) would be compulsory under RCW 11.96A.050(4)(a) because the decedent was a resident of Pierce County.

RCW 11.96A.050(4) provides:

(4) Venue for proceedings pertaining to the probate of wills, the administration and disposition of a decedent's property, including nonprobate assets, and any other matter not identified in subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section, must be in any county in the state of Washington that the petitioner selects. A party to a proceeding may request that venue be changed if the request is made within four months of the mailing of the notice of appointment and pendency of probate required by RCW  11.28.237<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.237>, and except for good cause shown, venue must be moved as follows:
(a) If the decedent was a resident of the state of Washington at the time of death, to the county of the decedent's residence; or
(b) If the decedent was not a resident of the state of Washington at the time of death, to any of the following:
(i) Any county in which any part of the probate estate might be;
(ii) If there are no probate assets, any county where any nonprobate asset might be; or
(iii) The county in which the decedent died.

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.