[WSBAPT] Personal Request for Assistance - my parent's Nevada Timeshare

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at williams-ruthlaw.com
Mon Sep 4 08:32:24 PDT 2023

List -

I have been the PR for my mother's estate. It is all done EXCEPT - my
parents have a deeded timeshare in douglas county, Nevada (south lake
tahoe). Father died in 2018.

I am having the most terrible time finding anyone who can help. Apparently,
Nevada has no Lack of Probate Affidavit or small estate affidavit process.
Because this is a deeded property (compared to points)  the only option is
to open probate in Douglas County. Units are reselling for between $1,200
and $3,000.

I reached out to one law firm, they estimated a probate price of $5,000
plus transfer fees and insisted that I would have to do another round of
creditor notice - despite the fact that there is no contact with Nevada
other than this timeshare. I received another referral from an attorney on
one of the WSBA committees with me (he works near Sacramento) and that firm
hasn't even called me back after a week - reaching out via their web portal
and phone call.

So now I turn to you.

Here are additional facts:
1) Neither my sister nor I want this property - we are not
timeshare travelers.
2) We have offered it to ANYONE for free, we would even pay the probate
cost and would just agree to have them become the end owner. No one wants
it.
3) I have contacted the management company who manages the property - they
have a "turn back into us" program for a fee of $1,200 AFTER it has been
probated by me.

I have spent nearly as much time trying to deal with this one asset than
the entire probate process here in Washington and am not sure what to do.

We just had my mother's celebration of life on what would have been her
75th birthday last week. I just want to close this and be done with it but
really don't want to have to spend nearly $7,500 to do so.

I am nearly at the stage of spending the time to learn about Douglas
County, see if they have an ex parte process as it would be cheaper for me
to fly down for a day, open pro se, get the letters, transfer the deed and
be done with it....but again, I really don't want to waste time.

Appreciate any ideas for how to proceed.

Thank you!
Brent

*Brent Williams-Ruth* (pronouns: he/him)
*Attorney-At-Law*

*Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, **a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC*

*Physical Address: 500 S 336th Street, Suite 214; Federal Way, WA 98003*

***EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY** All mail sent through the USPS should be sent to
the following address: **PO BOX 3319; Federal Way, WA 98063 *

Office/Scheduling Phone: (253) 285-7751

Direct: (253) 285-7453

e-mail <Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website
<http://www.williams-ruthlaw.com/> / facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/bwrlaw> /