[WSBAPT] Family section of will/trust

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Fri Oct 20 16:56:24 PDT 2023

You should list the closest living relatives.  In other words, the intestate heirs.  They will need to receive notice after the testator dies.  You will be doing the PR a favor by listing them.  Tell your client that they will need to receive notice, even if they inherit nothing.  That will reduce your client's resistance to listing them.
Yes, I would list both siblings.  I would probably even list all of the nieces and nephews.  If some do not receive anything, you might even include a sentence that they are not getting anything.  That might seem a little harsh, but it eliminates the argument that the testator simply had memory problems and forgot them.
In any event, the attorney notes MUST include the fact that the testator told the attorney that he was leaving them nothing intentionally.  The attorney notes are crucial.
On the subject of listing the closest living relatives (WARNING: WAR STORY FOLLOWS):  I once probated a will where the will said nothing about closest living relatives.  I called the drafting attorney and asked why.  He said that his client told him, "I have no family."  Nonsense, I thought.  Fortunately the family name was not common, and they all came from the same region of the same state.  By the end of the day, I found myself on the phone with the decedent's identical twin brother.  The decedent had been disowned by his family for marrying outside of their church.
Everyone has a family.  Recite them in the will.  Always.  Someone will thank you some day.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500