[WSBAPT] Anatomical Gift Instructions

ak at seattle-silvalaw.com ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Oct 4 01:33:36 PDT 2023

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

October 3, 2023

Ann,

I didn’t see that anyone had answered your question.

I ordinarily have a client register as a donor in my presence online
with Department of Licensing. It can also be done by mail. You can
register to donate most organs and body parts, not sure about the brain.
  Separately, I prepare a short statement referring to that donation and
what exactly they have registered for donation along with other burial/
funeral/ celebration instructions and have it signed by two witnesses.

Although RCW 68.64.040 says you can do this through a testator’s will, I
would discourage that. If a person is not organized and if they haven’t
given their family instructions before their death, the deceased could
be cremated before anyone thinks of a will. If they have registered with
DOL, they don’t need a separate writing, that’s more so that it’s part
of the testator’s papers, so that they are sure to discuss this wish
with their family, so that their family is aware.

Since your client specifically wants to donate her brain, you may want
to do a little research to see if the brain is accepted. Your client may
even give thought to if there is a particular institution- i.e., UW Med
School, PNW Health Sciences, etc. where client may want to donate. I
believe institutions have their own donate forms.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 940
Seattle, Washington 98101-2509