[WSBAPT] Electronic Signatures - DocuSign and others

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Fri Nov 17 08:36:37 PST 2023

Hi Laura,

I promise this email will turn out to be about e-signature software, although by way of FoxIt PDF software. 😉

I am a little bit of a tech geek, and I was fed up this past spring when Adobe raised their monthly subscription fee for Acrobat Pro (desktop and cloud, with Adobe Sign) from around $17/month/user to $24/month/user in one fell swoop. I had known of PDF alternatives for years, but each time I tried one, it lacked “that one feature.”

Well, this spring I tried FoxIt again, as did my team, and “boy oh boy” were we glad we did.

Our entire team is now using this somehow-priced-as-it-is version: Foxit PDF Editor Suite for Teams | Foxit<https://www.foxit.com/teams/> -- and I cannot more highly recommend it for PDF viewing/reading, editing, filling/signing, form creation, e-signing, document security (including security POLICIES that are crazy easy to apply, contra Acrobat), redaction (including the absolutely coolest “Whiteout” feature I have ever seen anywhere), and more.

The transition from Adobe Acrobat is nearly seamless. The support is fantastic (when even needed). It is about 100x more intuitive than Acrobat’s interface. And it includes their cloud-based FoxIt e-Sign software that has served us very well.

The Teams package above ($14/month, I think?) includes a desktop Editor software; full-feature cloud/web based Editor software; full-feature cloud/web based eSign software; and cloud/web based Admin console. (Okay, so the latter is a bit “overkill” for a smaller team, but if you just ask support to help you click the buttons needed to authorize each of your team members, you will most likely never need to use the console again.)

Now, we also use Clio for practice management, and that includes HelloSign, which is just fine as well. (It’s built into Clio, as well, so you can very easily initiate signing of a PDF from within Clio and never have to “save” the signed version from email to your file store – it’s already there.) But I sure like having both options, honestly, for different purposes. Each has that one feature that the other doesn’t sometimes, etc.

Take care, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street